18 Oct 2013

Radiotherapy week one...


Hello to all my new friends. I now have a really great following abroad so here I am attempting to say hello in some other languages…




I have had so many lovely comments and messages from you all recently and I just want to say a big fat thank you. It’s really nice to hear from people that read and enjoy my blog and it always makes my smile bigger (if that is even possible). It is also amazing that this little old blog has managed to reach so many people. The thing that really makes all of this rubbishness worth while is hearing from people and learning that they have gained something from the blog.

I have now completed my first week of radiotherapy and so far so good. I am yet to have any side effects. Apparently this is normal and it will take a couple of weeks before the side effects present themselves. Of course I am hoping that I will be the lucky patient that gets away relatively side effect free but I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens. The main pain is having to spend two hours travelling each day but it is a small price to pay to zap any naughty cells that may still be left behind.

I had to laugh at the fact I get my very own hospital gown to keep for the next five weeks. As I am sure you can imagine it is very sexy. My new best friend is aqueous cream which I apply twice a day to try and keep my skin behaving throughout treatment. Luckily the hospital provides me with the stuff so I should have plenty.

As well as spending a lot of time travelling too and from the hospital everyday I have been a busy lady doing other things. I have made two radio and one television appearance which is really great for helping me to raise awareness that younger women are at risk of breast cancer too. 



Don’t forget to check out my friends over at Coppafeel! too, they do some REALLY great work.

My hair is finally getting its grow on! I managed to properly (well kind of) part it today. Check it out..


What sort of things have I been wearing?


BOOK talk has been taking up a lot of my time recently which has been really exciting. I am crossing all my fingers and toes and sometimes even my eyes hoping that something will materialise from all of this. What do you all think, would you be interested in reading my book? Let me know your thoughts, either email me or leave me a comment. I would love to hear what you think. 

That's all from me for now folks. Have a great weekend.

Love you long time. X

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous19.10.13

    Hi Laura,
    I just read your interview with Spiegel Online and just wanted to leave a comment.
    You are so brave and an inspiration to live with fun and and laughter despite this grave illness.
    I've never been so ill, but my father died last year because of a liver transplantation gone wrong.
    Also, I know someone who has just been diagnosed with a brain tumor - he's just 32 years old.
    So it's very refreshing to read your blog.

    Keep going!

    XXX
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous19.10.13

    Hi Laura and many greetings from Germany! My name is Dani, I am 40 years old and live with my 6 cats in the northern Bavaria. They found a tumor inside of my head this june. I call it Tumi or Mr. Tum. ;-) I had first a bad made surgery, than 2 chemo sessions with Cisplatin and Etoposid followed from a 7 week long radiotherapy. I just have finished the fifth week yesterday. :-) There are bad side effects so I don't like to eat currently for example..
    I certainly hope this all will kick the ass of Mr Tum. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura,
    greats from Germany and a big "HALLO" back. Wow... you are such a strong and funny woman.
    I read your Interview in Spiegel Online too.
    I'm a Physiotherapist and have many Women with breast cancer. I will tell them about your blog.

    I send you many power from here.
    I will follow you.

    Kisses Louisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallo from Germany as well:) I too just read the article on Spiegel online and wow, you are one brave woman. I wish you all the best, resilience, strength and luck and lots of friends and love. I'll be reading and recommending! Keep up the spirit:)
    Lots of love,
    Christiane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous20.10.13

    Hi Laura, im a student nurse currently on a radiotherapy ward, ive been reading your blog for a while now I think your very brave and inspiring! Reading your blog has helped me with understanding what people on the ward might be feeling or going through and your positive words are a great help! I just wanted to say hope the radiotherapy goes well, I was also told by a patient that sometimes saying to someone 'stay positive' can be like a slap in the face, so I wont say that but you really are an inspiration :) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous20.10.13

    Hi .. I have 24 years and am in the fifth red chemo for breast cancer. And also take cancer chic style too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous20.10.13

    Olá Laura,

    I´m sure you will be OK!

    AlexC, Brazil

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!
    My name is Holly and I found your blog through a link on a news site in New Zealand (although I now live in the UK).
    I would definitely be interested in reading your book, as I am also relatively young (26) and have had some serious health problems as well, so I know what you mean about there not being much out there info/support-wise for younger women going through stuff like this. :)

    ReplyDelete